Monday, April 14, 2008

Why Falling Off The Bandwagon Can Be A Good Thing

I came across this - THE MOST APROPOS ARTICLE IN A LONG TIME!!!
Last week I talked about trying to find the right balance with whatever you do, whether it be with your work and home life, or your productivity and leisure time. Because balance is such an integral part of how we live our lives I believe it deserved a greater look so I began writing this post. However, in researching the issue I came across an interesting correlation between my balance and why I occasionally fall off the bandwagon…

When it comes to balance, it’s easier to just go to one extreme or the other. That’s why most politicians are typically left or right wing and the average footballer is either defense or attack. Balance is difficult, in fact it’s an endless pursuit. You might have it right one day and then the next you’re totally off. It’s always those people who master balance in their respective fields that excel; for instance, Christiano Ronaldo, a famous footballer for Manchester United. Technically he is an attacker yet he covers the entire pitch without hindering the team. He doesn’t need to be tied to one position, he’s smart enough to be always in the right place.
A lot of people have discussed falling off the GTD (GETTING THINGS DONE) bandwagon. I’ve been there multiple times over the last few years and it used to annoy me. Every time it would happen I’d develop a new system and - if it worked well - for the first few weeks I’d be all happy and super-efficient (nicely balanced). Then I’d slump, fluctuate and occasionally hit new highs before I would ultimately “fall over” again (go to an extreme) a few months later. Reading the experiences of others automatically made me assume this was due to flaws in the system and my habits. And, yes, that’s partly the case. But looking back, I think a lot of it was simply down to lack of motivation. My enthusiasm balance was out and I needed to freshen things up.

Next time you fall off the bandwagon, whether it be with your GTD system, an habit you are building or simply with trying to eat healthy and visit the gym, don’t beat yourself up (too much). Rather like a battery needs recharging, sometimes we need to recharge our focus, our enthusiasm, our happiness, etc. There is so much focus on developing THE system that works for you, but instead you should be developing a collection of systems to keep you fresh and more importantly, to allow you to regain the balance you need where appropriate. I’ve juggled between Moleskines, ring binders and my weekly planner, but when my balance is off I can always rely on my notepad.

In summary:
Aim to have balance in your life but know you can’t maintain it 24/7
Don’t rely on just one system. Have a collection of reliable systems you trust in reserve so you can juggle and freshen things up as required.
Don’t assume that just because you’ve fallen off the bandwagon, it’s because your system is flawed. Look at where your head is at.
Follow my advice on maintaining energy levels to keep balance for longer.
xoxoxoxox miss gaily - the master blogger

No comments: